Monday, June 21

Lessons Learned at Pater's Knee

When I was a young and innocent gel, my father told me that he'd never run a sporting house again, because of the "B133dy infernal racket the horses made a-go'in at it overhead, and the turrible damage they do to a man's privacies to be sure." When I became proprietress of my little shop o'grogs, I remembered my father's words and made sure that there wasn't a racetrack and betting parlour on the second floor. I certainly didn't want to be responsible for damage to the property or injury to my patrons by rampaging, inconsiderate horses.

The man looked at me oddly as I signed the papers. It was then that I realized that my dear Pater had actually said "whoreses."

He had a rather picturesque way of expressing himself.

As I said, I was an innocent gel, and I've always had a life-long interest in playing with the ponies, so it was a natural mistake. Still, must remember to warn Captain Gus should he grant shore leave to his gallant crew. Because, as stated previously, never trust a pirate that begins a sentence with the word

No comments: