Tuesday, October 5

They'd Best Not Get Their Knickers In A Twist

Fortunately, Sybil enacted a draft of all men who’d ever served in the Conch navy. She also commandeered all the island’s battle-worthy brigs. Conch last fought at sea nearly a century ago though. Her efforts netted us five sailors (none younger than eighty, only three of whom could see) plus three rotting schooners, one rotting barquentine, and one frigate where the rot is the strongest part of her hull. Their sails hung limply when at all. With no time to obtain proper canvas, we had to rig them with whatever was laying around: bed sheets, fat ladies’ dresses, whatever.


Egad! That shipment of old clothes and bedding we sent off for hurricane relief to the Islands! It included... *deep blush*

Never mind. Never let it be said that we don't lend every support to the cause... cross my heart and so on.

Truth be told, the old bedsheets went out in that lot: I don't feel so bad about me faded cabbage roses getting shot through and through in a thrilling sea battle. But I am rather at sixes and sevens over me old bloomers going boomers, and that's no mistake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Blubridge. The internet is a dry town without you. Additionally, I dug the details of your bloomers.

Affectionately,

Rosco W. Hatten

Anonymous said...

hmmm...i think i'm seein' a possible commercial tie-in resulting in major funding for gus' quest. not to mention a gazillion ideas for a photo-shoot:

*vicky's secrets for gus openshaw*.....

i'm just sayin'.

snuggs

Ginny said...

My dears, the very thing. At least now it appears that they have a full crew complement and all the fried chicken they can eat.

Thank you, my dear Roscoe, mon affaires have kept me rather busy of late, but all was well in the hands of the capable and trusty snuggs.

I do think the junket I took with the village elders will do wonders for getting the noise-abatement suit thrown out of court.