Friday, September 17

Good Lord It's Nearly Here: Talk Like A Pirate Day Is Sunday

The extra barrels of rum will be delivered tomorrow morning. However, there's a mild disaster in the making: the eyepatches are stuck in New Orleans awaiting the first available FedEx flight out post-Ivan. We may have to improvise; fortunately real pirates would have used a simple torn strip of silk, so they can be made up very quickly from old remainders if necessary. The same strips can be used to make pigtails - very versatile, pirate fashion!

I expect some of the deeply puzzled sort of pirates may put in for grog and supplies of... woad or indigo or suchlike. If they wish to trade, I've got some garlands of dried hops from last years' Brewfest Binge decorations we can try to fob off on them.

In the meantime, we had best practice our piratical talk:

"Garrrrrn."

"Blooooow me doooown, mateys, she be listin' faaaar to staaaarbard."

"Yaaaar, me y'earin' ain't wot it used ter be these many years as gunner, ye'd best send yer yarn down me other y'ear-hooooole."

And of course, the classic: "Arrrrrs" and "yo-ho-hos" will always do in a pinch.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

*Outraged stare* Really? I wouldn't know, my dear.

And now, IF you don't mind, that is MY ruddy mahogany back bar. Now with two holes in. Most tiresome.

Last call, all and sundry (and Roscoe). Last call.

Anonymous said...

The thing I'm not clear on is who are you supposed to talk like a pirate to. Anyone? The cop who pulls you over for BUI for instance?

Ginny said...

Arrrr, and so forth. I saw'r a pyrate at the grocery store today. I was too shy to approach and get speech of him in pyrate lingo, but his shirt definitely bore the skull and crossbones.

Also, I heard it on NPRrrrrrrr as well.

I should think a policeman would probably not be the best person to try out a few pyrate phrases on unless he had a tiny little police parrot on his shoulder; then he'd probably be safe enough.